Kerlingarfjöll – One of a kind landscape, 2 days
One of the Iceland’s precious inland resort.
This is a fantastic tour packed with scenary. Kerlingarfjöll is the best kept secret in Iceland
- Day One
- 1. Elite Travel will pick you up at your hotel at 08.00 to take you on your „Kerlingarfjoll“ adventure .
2. We will drive first to Thingvellir National Park. There you can see the boundaries of the diverging Tectonic plates, which are the Eurasian plate and the N-America plate. That is where the Icelanders established their parliament in 930 and your guide will tell you all about the history, the geology and unique ecosystem of the area. We will then visit the spouting hot springs Geysir and Strokkur and the surrounding geothermal area.
3. We then continue to the nearby Gullfoss, the Golden Waterfall, where we take a close look at the waterfall and have lunch in the Gullfoss restaurant. (not incl.)
4. After lunch we continue to the Kerlingarfjöll resort with the optional visit to Skálpanes to take on a fun snowmobile experience.
Our arrival time at Kerlingarfjöll depends very much on the weather and if a snowmobile tour is arranged. Time permitting we will go hiking around Kerlingarfjöll and visit the massive geothermal area - Hveradalir. There you can spend half a day or a full day in the area and still miss many of the sceneries. (The level of hiking can be adjusted to everyone’s needs).
Dinner at Kerlingarfjöll (incl.) and an overnight stay in a private cabin (each cabin has room for 4 to 6 people with private facilities except showers in the main cabin)
- Day Two
- After breakfast we will go hiking in Kerlingarfjöll. Kerlingarfjöll has a lot to offer. Beautiful marked and unmarked hiking routes suitable for all. Whether it's heading for the mountain tops or exploring one of the biggest geothermal areas in Iceland you can be certain that Kerlingarfjoll will take you by surprise.
Lunch at Kerlingarfjöll (incl.)
After lunch we depart for Hveravellir geothermal area and then we drive south to Reykjavík. On the way we will drive by Gullfoss and Geysir, ancient Skálholt Episcopal See (optional visit). We will drive through the greenhouse village Hveragerdi before arriving at our last stop, the newest Geothermal Power Plant (Hellisheiðarvirkjun) where we see how the geothermal power is utilised for generating electricity and space heating.
Arriving in Reykjavík around dinner time, depending on weather.
- Vehicle: Ford Expedition modified high clearance and comfortable 4WD, 5 passengers, (optional 6).
- Professional Driver-guide.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information. And why not tell us about your dream Iceland vacation here in the comment section below and we will do our very best to accommodate you and your wishes.